Why do we wear a face mask?

Emergency declaration was lifted in last month, my son started to commute. He commutes to work with wearing a face mask just like his father who also commutes from before the emergency declaration is lifted.

That face mask is resumed to sell, and its price is also no longer as high as one period. Thanks to that, I'm able to use disposable masks comfortably, too.

However, I concern a little about face masks.

One day, my son worked for physical labor at the work site at first time. I was worry because he didn't sweat much that day. After then, that next evening, he fevered due to heat stroke. He said, he always wore a face mask at work including during physical labor, and he was reducing the frequency to drink water for feeling troublesome to drink when wearing a face mask.

After all, taking antipyretic prescribed by the hospital, while resting home, he frequently drank sport drink until sweating, and recovered.

(from his fevering until seeing a doctor and from his recover until his return to work were a little hard, but omit)

After that, he is careful by himself and works safely, but he becomes to hate the face mask and seems to wear it reluctantly.

I dislike it too. Because my glasses become to be cloudy by my breath, I don't like it from before, in addition to that, I recently became easier to cough when with wearing a face mask talking to someone. After if removing a face mask and gargling, I almost never cough, so I am suspicious of that fine fibers of a face mask enter my mouth and stimulate my throat.

Nevertheless I go out or meet people with wearing a face mask, because of reassuring them.

In addition, it is undeniable that I feel a sense of security that I don't have to be complained by anyone who blames for not-wearing a face mask. While I couldn't buy it, I witnessed that pharmacy clerk refused to serve a customer not-wearing it by telling with a blatantly disgusting face "why not wear a face mask even if you make it by hand?". Since then, if I go to shopping with no face mask, I feel more scared of people's gaze or behavior than new type corona virus.

At my case, I tend to cough more with a face mask than with no mask, so it's confuse the order of matters but there's no help, I think.

white flowers blooming on a passage in the backyard : 裏庭の通路に咲く白い花

The photo on this post is flowers' one taken with a smartphone in the backyard on May 30. I don't know this flower's name. This is a small and pretty flower but has strong vitality, and grows without permission beside a passage in the backyard. I often step on it unintentionally, but it continues to grow without weakening and eventually fills a passage.

Flowers are nice. Even if we don't know their name, we can love their cuteness and beauty with anyone.

It would be nice if face masks could be also welcome unconditionally, but not so. If I have to wear it at any rate, I want to choice one that can reduce the risk of splash infection properly, and if I shall wear it long time, I want to use one that I don't have to inhale its fibers. What do you think about using very good breathability one because "it's for heat stroke prevention and better than nothing"? What about using masks easily producing fibers because "it's cheap"?

In the first place, because it could lead to a factor of future re-outbreak or it could make human relationships awkward, that people's recognitions may change to "a face mask = evidence of keeping new manners" and that the original purpose ("for infection prevention") may be forgot are very scary, I think.

*** in Japanese ***

マスク着用は何のため?

 緊急事態宣言が先月解除され、息子はいよいよ職場へ通い始めました。解除前から職場へ通勤している旦那同様、マスクを着用しての通勤・勤務です。
 そのマスクも、最近は店頭に戻ってきており、価格も一時のような高値ではなくなりました。おかげさまで、私も使い捨てマスクを気楽に使用できるようになりました。
 ただ、心配なこともあります。
 先日、息子くんが初めて職場で肉体労働に勤しみました。その日の帰宅後からあまり汗をかいておらず変だなと思っていたら、翌日の夕方、熱中症で発熱しました。聞けば、勤務時間内は常にマスクを着用しており、肉体労働時も例外ではなく、しかもマスク着用中は億劫に感じて、水分摂取回数が減っていたとか。
 結局、病院で処方された解熱剤を服用し、自宅で安静にしつつ、汗が出るようになるまでスポーツドリンクをこまめに飲んだことで、回復しました。
(病院で受診するまでと職場に復帰するまでが、ちょっぴり大変だったことは省略します)
 以降は、息子自身が気をつけて無事に過ごしていますが、マスクは嫌いになったようで、着用する時も渋々といった感じです。
 マスクが嫌いなのは、私も同じです。眼鏡が曇るのでもともと苦手でしたが、最近はそれに加えて、マスク着用時に人と会話している時に限って咳が出やすくなりました。外してうがいをした後はほとんど出なくなるので、マスクの細かい繊維が口から入り、喉を刺激しているのではないかと疑っています。
 それでもマスクを着用した上で出かけたり人と会ったりするのは、やはり周囲の人たちや相手の人に安心してもらえるからです。
 また、マスクをしていないことを非難する人に絡まれずに済むという、私自身の安心感も否めません。マスクが品薄で買えなかった頃に、マスクをしていない客に対して薬局の店員が「手作りしてでも着けたらどうですか」と嫌悪感たっぷりに告げて対応を断るのを見ました。それ以来、買い物へマスクを忘れて行きますと、新型コロナウイルスよりも、周囲の人の視線や言動のほうに恐怖を感じます。
 私の場合、マスク無しの時よりもマスク着用時のほうが咳が出やすいので、本末転倒な気がするのですけれどね。

 今回掲載している画像は、5月30日に裏庭で撮影した花のスマホ画像です。名前は知りません。小さくて可憐な花ですが、生命力は強いようで、裏庭の通路脇に自然に生えてきます。当然つい踏んでしまうのですが、それでも負けずに育ち続け、やがて通路いっぱいに茂ります。
 花はいいですね。名前を知らずとも、その可愛さ、美しさを誰とでも楽しめます。
 マスクも手放しで歓迎できればいいのですが、そうはいきません。どうせ着用するのなら、きちんと飛沫感染のリスクを減らすものを選びたいですし、着用が長時間に及ぶなら、繊維を吸い込まずに済むものを使いたいです。「無いよりはマシだから熱中症予防に」と通気性がとても良いものを選んだり、「安いから」というだけで毛羽立ちやすいものを選んだりというのは、どうなのでしょうか。
 それ以前に、人々の認識が「マスク=新しいマナーを守っている証拠」と化し、本来の「感染予防」という目的が薄れていくのは、今後の再流行の要因に繋がったり、人間関係にもギスギスしたものを生みそうで、とても怖いと私は思います。

コメント