Crochet with embroidery threads

When I cleaned up the closet a little the other day, I digged out embroidery threads I bought a long time ago. They are the ones I bought at Daiso (100-yen shop) about 10 years ago, and 10 to 12 items containing 8 colors of 8 meter thread per color...

I bought them for making Misanga at that time, but I don't feel like that anymore. I don't also embroider. I'm interested in Kumihimo, but even if I make it, I can't come up with its use.

I thought what should I do them, and decided to use them as knitting yarn.

And then, what I made first is this.

a bag for items wearing when weeding : 草取りの時に使う物用の袋
usually hiding under my straw hat : 普段は麦わら帽子で隠れています

I started weeding in the garden of my parents' house from late August. I do it little by little every morning, then black arm covers and yellow hook-and-loop fastener belts for squeezing the hem of the pants I wear these at that time are stored in this bag. When hooking this with the work straw hat, the sloppy color scheme and many knots here and there are hidden and invisible, so I'm glad.

Embroidery threads were remained yet, so next, I made my finger-out type hand warmer with crochet.

finger-out type hand warmer : 指が出るタイプのハンドウォーマー
I made it easier to move my thumb : 親指も動かしやすいようにしました

I had wanted my hand warmer since before because every winter my hands get cold on the metal case of my laptop PC. I could also buy it at 100-yen shop, but I decided to make by myself to get it safely avoiding the possibility that the size and material will not fit my hands and skin. Because it's for myself, the color scheme is sloppy and I tied threads simply and just switched. "I wish I could knit it easily and happily" is my motto when making my own items :)

By the way, about how to knit these.

I knitted all of the bottom of the bag by single crochet, the side of the bag by grid knitting with a single crochet and a chain, the hem by single crochet toward back, these knitted in a ring, and a thread cord with crochet.

For hand warmers, I started from fingers and knitted, a main part and the hem of the base of fingers by grid knitting with a single crochet and a chain, in a ring. And I knitted a part of the wrist with Zig-zag crochet, and didn't knit for the hem. I started to knit from fingers, increased stitches to make a hole for the thumb, after then, knitted while gradually reducing stitches, when having made a main part, changed how to knit to Zig-zag crochet to continue to knit as it is.

Grid knitting with a single crochet and a chain (Koma-hogan Ami) is a crochet technique Ms. Yoko Okubo deviced, how to knit in grid pattern by repeating 1 single crochet and 1 chain alternatively. The knitted fabric by this technique is easy to calculate the number of stitches and the number of steps, and has also some elasticity, so I often use for knitting my own clothes.

Zig-zag crochet is a crochet technique Mr./Ms. betibettin deviced, to be able to make knitted fabric that has elasticity like rib stitches made by knitting needles. For me, who is not good at knitting needles, it is a crochet technique like a god of salvation.

By using these techniques, I could complete my hand warmers as a comfortable items that fits moderately in my hands. If you cannot think so when you look at photos, it's because I don't have a sense of color scheme and a sensible carefulness to hide knots of threads.

If you want to learn about grid knitting with a single crochet and a chain (Koma-hogan Ami), you may click this sentence and watch a video produced by NIHON VOGUE Corp.

If you want to learn about Zig-zag crochet, you may click this sentence and watch videos produced by Mr./Ms. betibettin.

I still have some embroidery threads, so I'm going to knit something else, too.

*** in Japanese ***

刺しゅう糸で小物を編んでいます

 先日、押し入れを少し片付けたら、昔買いだめした刺しゅう糸が出てきました。10年ぐらい前にダイソーで買ったもので、1色8メートルの糸が8色ずつ入っている品が、10~12個分…。
 当時の購入目的はミサンガを作るためでしたが、今はもうその気はありません。刺しゅうもしません。組紐には興味がありますが、作っても用途を思いつきません。
 どうしたものかと考えた結果、編み糸として使用することにしました。
 そうして作ってみたのが、これです。

 8月下旬から実家の庭の草取りを始めました。毎朝少しずつやっていまして、その時に身につける黒いアームカバーとズボンの裾を束ねる黄色いマジックテープを入れる袋です。作業用の麦わら帽子と一緒に下げると、配色が適当なことも糸の結び目があちこちにあることも見えなくなるので、ラッキーです。
 刺繍糸はまだまだ残っていたので、次に指が出るタイプのハンドウォーマーを編んでみました。

 ノートPCの筐体が金属製で、冬季は手が冷えてしまうので、以前から欲しかったのです。それこそ100均でも買えますが、サイズや素材が手や肌に合わない可能性もあり、いっそ自作したほうが安心だろうと判断しました。自分用なので、配色はいい加減ですし、糸が切り替わるところも無造作に結んで済ませています。「楽に楽しく編めればいいや」が、自分用の品を作る時のモットーです(笑)。
 ちなみに、編み方についてですが。
 袋の底面はすべてこま編みで、側面はこま方眼編み、縁はバックこま編みで、それぞれ輪に編みました。紐はスレッドコード編みです。
 ハンドウォーマーのほうは、手と指の部分はこま方眼編みで輪に編み、縁もこま方眼編みです。手首の部分はジグザク編みで、縁編みはなしです。指のほうから編み始め、親指の付け根で穴を作りつつ目を増やし、そこから少しずつ減らし目していき、手首の辺りまで編めたら、続けてジグザク編みに切り替えました。
 こま方眼編みは、大久保蓉子先生考案の編み方で、こま編みと鎖編みを交互に繰り返して方眼編みをする手法です。目数と段数の計算がしやすいですし、編地に多少の伸縮性もあるので、自分の衣類を作る時によく使っています。
 ジグザグ編みは、betibettinさんが考案されたかぎ針編みの手法で、棒針によるゴム編みのような伸縮性のある編地ができます。棒針編みが苦手な私には、救いの神のような編み方です。
 これらの編み方のおかげで、ハンドウォーマーは手に程よくフィットする心地のいい品になりました。画像ではそう見えないとしたら、それは私の配色センスの無さと糸の結び目を隠そうともしない気楽さのせいです。

 こま方眼編みについては、日本ヴォーグ社によるこの動画をご覧いただくとわかりやすいです。
 ジグザグ編みについては、betibettinさんの動画チャンネルをご覧いただくとわかりやすいです。

 買いためた刺しゅう糸はまだ残っているので、他にも何か作ろうと思います。

コメント